Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spring Cleaning?

Well, tomorrow I am going to attempt to go through all my things I've accumulated during the past year, hopefully finding a place for them!  Unfortunately, I tend to hang onto things long past when I really need them; there are books in my bookshelves that I haven't read in ages, yet I still hold onto them.

Perhaps they aren't classics in the traditional sense of the word, but to me they are some of my earliest exposures to imaginitive writing that wasn't picturebook based.  One of my favorite, which is generally considered a classic, is the Phantom Toll Booth; I think a lot of people nowadays would benefit from such an experience as Milo had, child or not.  We tend to never pay attention to where we are, as a society, instead preferring to constantly either dawdle in the past, or rush forward to a future that will never be.  "Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday, but never jam today!", as is said in another of the books I still own, perhaps you remember it as well?

Then again, I may be weird for a twentysomething; I prefer to live in the moment, while occasionally planning for the future, and cherishing the past.  There is a difference, after all, and one should never forget what you've experienced, so you can learn from it.

Doing this helps clear out the mind, and brings a clarity and peace that I haven't experienced in any other way, except rare moments.

-Joel de Bunchastu

No comments:

Post a Comment